Carbon Fiber Tubing
QA1 can take your carbon fiber concept from initial design to full production, all at our facility in Lakeville, MN.
Working with advanced materials and utilizing state-of-the-art in-house equipment, we will design and produce the superior product you need. While our carbon fiber driveshafts have set new standards in the motorsports industry, we also make custom composite tubing and shapes out of carbon fiber, S-glass, E-glass, aramid fiber, and other materials; optimizing for high torque, high critical speed, and low NVH to provide you stronger, better-performing products.
Ready to see if carbon fiber or another composite is right for your project?
We Can Assist You With
- Application and design engineering (3D modeling, simulation, prototyping)
- Testing and product validation (balance, torsion, NVH, tension, bending)
- Manufacturing and quality control (ISO 9001, component traceability)
Custom Solutions Suitable for a Variety of Industries
We have the capabilities to design and manufacture carbon fiber tubing and shapes for a variety of applications in industrial markets such as:
- Cooling towers
- Paper mills
- Printing presses
- Oil rigs
- Irrigation systems
- Treatment plants
- Experimental aircraft
- Steel-processing equipment
- Auxiliary pumps
- Refuse trucks
- Military and defense
Application: Dirt Late Model Driveshafts
Challenge: Create a carbon fiber driveshaft capable of handling the abuse of dirt late model racing while optimizing torsional performance for more traction and increasing safety for drivers.
Solution: Satisfied the requirements of both racers and sanctioning bodies by utilizing a unique wind angle for high RPM stability, optimal rigidity for peak performance, and extreme torque capacities. Also incorporated a specialized co-engineered 3M™ resin for improved abrasion resistance and tube longevity. This resin also contributed to the shaft’s higher compressive strength and provided resistance of water absorption for increased torque capacity and traction.
Product: 2.25” TractionTwist™ Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
Application: Experimental Aircraft
Challenge: Develop a long-span, lightweight propeller shaft for prototype aircraft.
Solution: Utilized existing technology that met all design and safety specifications to create a custom carbon fiber driveshaft while minimizing R&D costs for the customer.
Product: Custom propeller shaft and tooling development
Application: Test Stand Dynos
Challenge: Lightweight shafts were required to eliminate and avoid critical frequencies that could impact test results of specialty test stands.
Solution: Starting with computer simulation, a custom driveshaft was engineered that utilized a custom wind and dimensions to avoid the undesired frequencies. Modal analysis then proved the final product before moving into final production.
Product: Custom driveshaft and tooling
Ready to get started on your project?
- Award for Composites Excellence (ACE) from the American Composites Manufacturers Association (ACMA) for Materials and Process Innovation. Read more.
- Composites and Advanced Materials Expo (CAMX) Outstanding Technical Paper Award for the 3M co-authored whitepaper titled, Improved Performance of Filament-Wound Composite Drive Shafts with Next Generation Inorganic Nanoparticle-Filled Epoxy Resins. Read the paper here.
- 2016 SEMA Global Media Award for its REV™ Series carbon fiber driveshafts. Read more.
- 2014 SEMA Global Media Award for its REV™ Series carbon fiber driveshafts. Read more.
See our resources page for more whitepapers and tools.